Rice Unconventional Wisdom
Office of the Registrar image title
Working in Partnership with the Rice community to provide quality service and records management

Information for:

Majors, Minors and University Certificates

In order to receive a bachelor's degree from Rice University, students must complete the requirements for at least one major. Within some majors, students can choose a particular area of concentration, or a track. Students may also choose to fulfill the requirements for more than one major; such majors do not necessarily need to be in related fields. For a list of majors and more detailed information on departmental majors, please see the "Undergraduate Degree Chart" section of the General Announcements.

At their May 10, 2006 meeting, the Faculty Senate approved a process for the creation of minors. For more information on this process, please visit the Committee on Undergraduate Curriculum's website.

Declaring a Major and/or Minor
Declaring a University Certificate
List of Current Minors

Declaring a Major and/or Minor

Undergraduate students must declare a major during or before the spring semester of their second year. Sophomore (or second year) students will not be permitted to register for the fall semester of their junior (or third year) if they have not yet declared a major. The major declaration deadline is listed in the Academic Calendar each year. Undergraduates may declare a major at any time before this deadline and always are free to change their major by completing the appropriate form.

Students may also choose to declare an interdisciplinary or departmental minor in addition to a major.  Please Note:  Students must first declare a primary major before declaring a minor.

 To declare your major and/or minor:

  1. Login to ESTHERexternal_link.
  2. Print an unofficial transcript.
  3. Go to Student Services & Account Information > UG Declaration and Change of Major (or Minor) Form.
  4. Print and fill out the form. Note: You must submit a separate form for EACH major (or minor) you are adding or dropping.
  5. Take the completed form and transcript to the appropriate department for approval. Have the major advisor and/or department chair sign the UG Declaration and Change of Major (or Minor) Form.
  6. If the form cannot be signed immediately by the major (or minor) advisor and/or department chair, leave it with the department for signature and pick it up when complete.  Please Note:  We discourage students from leaving their forms with the department to be forwarded to our office, especially during the deadline period.  
  7. Return the completed form in person to the Office of the Registrar.
Top of Page

Declaring a University Certificate 

Rice has two official university certificates that have been approved. To declare a university certificate, please contact the appropriate Department Contact listed below.

Academic Year Approved Certificate Code Certificate Description Department Contact
2014 - 2015 CCL Civic Leadership Caroline Quenemoen
2014 - 2015 CEL Engineering Leadership Kaz Karwowski
Top of Page


At present, the following minors have been approved:

Academic Year Approved Minor Code Minor Description
2014 - 2015 NAVA Naval Science (departmental)
2013 - 2014 NEUR Neurosciences (interdisciplinary)

2010 - 2011

MATM* Mathematics (departmental)

2010 - 2011

STAS* Statistics (departmental)

2010 - 2011

EEBM* Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (departmental)

2010 - 2011

BCBM* Biochemistry and Cell Biology (departmental)

2010 - 2011

AFST African Studies (interdisciplinary)

2010 - 2011


Anthropology (departmental)

2009 - 2010


Poverty, Justice, and Human Capabilities (interdisciplinary)

2009 - 2010


Computational and Applied Mathematics (departmental)

2009 - 2010


Energy and Water Sustainability (interdisciplinary)

2009 - 2010


Jewish Studies (interdisciplinary)

2008 - 2009


Global Health Technologies (interdisciplinary)

2007 - 2008


Business (departmental)

2006 - 2007


Sociology (departmental)

2006 - 2007


Financial Computation and Modeling (interdisciplinary)

* Unique 4-digit minor codes differentiate the departmental major from the departmental minor.  For example, the Sociology major is SOCI and the minor is SOCY.

Top of Page

Last Revised : October 17, 2014