The Pass/Fail Option
Online Pass/Fail Designation and Conversion in ESTHER
Undergraduate Student Guidelines:
Students may register for courses on a pass/fail basis. As outlined in the General Announcements, students:
- May not take more than one course as pass/fail per semester for each full year of residence (students studying in off-campus programs through Rice are considered to be in residence for the purpose of this rule).
- May not take more than four courses total as pass/fail (even if they are in a five-year degree program).
- May not take more than a total of 14 semester hours as pass/fail.
- May register for only one course as pass/fail in a semester.
- May not take as pass/fail a repeatable course previously taken and designated as pass/fail.
- May not take as pass/fail those courses used to meet the requirements for their major. If students take such courses pass/fail, the Office of the Registrar will replace the P with the letter grade earned during the final degree audit. This same rule and process applies to minors.
- Must designate courses to the Pass/Fail grade mode online, via ESTHER, no later than the posted deadline, usually the end of Week 10 of the semester.
- May not take First-Year Writing-Intensive Seminar (FWIS) courses as Pass/Fail.
Graduate Student Guidelines:
All degree-seeking graduate students may take course(s) pass/fail outside their department. They must designate a course as pass/fail no later than the end of the 10th week of classes; however, they may later convert a pass/fail to a graded course by submitting the proper online form with the Office of the Registrar by the end of the second week of the following semester. Students should be aware that while a grade of P does not affect their Grade Point Average, a grade of F is counted as a failure and is included in their GPA. Visiting Post Baccalaureates cannot take courses on a pass/fail grading basis.
All Pass/Fail Designations and Conversions requests should be made online. Students may verify Pass/Fail Designations for the current semester by viewing the Student Detail Schedule in ESTHER.
To Designate a course to the Pass/Fail grade mode:
- Login to ESTHER
- Click on Student Services and Account Information > Registration > Pass/Fail: Designate a Course as P/F or View P/F Grades
- In the Select Pass/Fail Course section, designate desired course to the Pass/Fail grade mode by clicking the Make Pass/Fail button next to course
- Print, or save a screenshot, of the Pass/Fail designation screen for your records
To Convert a P/F to the originally submitted letter grade:
- Login to ESTHER
- Click on Student Services and Account Information > Registration > Pass/Fail: View and/or Convert P/F Grades in History
- In the View Pass/Fail Grades section, click the Convert Grade button and follow directions
- Print, or save a screenshot, of the Pass/Fail Conversion screen for your records
Students should be aware that while a grade of P does not affect their grade point average, a grade of F is counted as a failure and is included in their GPA.
Students should be aware that courses taken during the Rice summer session(s) as pass/fail count toward their allowable total of pass/fail courses (maximum of 4).
Last Revised : April 19, 2011