Rice's Summer Sessions
Rice University is pleased to offer the Summer Sessions. Consisting of three sessions, the summer program is an opportunity for currently enrolled Rice students, visiting students from other institutions including rising high school seniors and recent high school graduates, to take college coursework for credit.
2017 Summer Sessions
Details for the 2017 Summer Sessions are being finalized and will be posted shortly. Please check back for more details.
Rice's Office of the Registrar is coordinating the summer sessions. The schedule can be found on the Registrar's website under
2017 Summer Course Schedule
The Summer 2017 course schedule will be posted to
Rice's Course Schedule at the beginning of February 2017.
Any additions, changes, or cancellations to the schedule will be posted on this page as soon as we receive them.
All students who register for courses for academic credit
during any of the Summer sessions will
see SUMM 000 “Summer Placeholder” listed in their schedule. The Office of the Registrar has built this
into the system to enable increased functionality for summer registrants, specifically allowing students to fully conduct all registration activity via ESTHER.
Please be aware that SUMM 000 is an administrative tool and NOT A true academic
course and will only be used during summer terms. There are no credit hours or tuition associated
with this “placeholder”, and it will not appear on a student's transcript. Please continue to follow the add/drop deadlines as
listed in the Academic Calendar for the applicable session. Should you have any questions, please
contact the Office of the Registrar.
2017 Summer Tuition and Fees
Tuition for The 2017 Summer Sessions is being determined. This information will be posted on the Cashier's Office website as soon as it is finalized and published.
Rice Undergraduate Summer Research Experience:
Current Rice students may enroll in an organized summer undergraduate research course for credit and not be charged tuition for up to 3 credit hours. For eligibility criteria, please see the following:
- Students enrolled must be continuing, degree-seeking Rice students, and be enrolled at Rice for both the book-end Spring/Fall semesters of the summer research year;
- Students enrolled must receive instructor pre-approval by completing an
Undergraduate Special Registration Request Form and returning it to the Office of the Registrar to process;
- Departments must certify and submit standard letter grade credit;
- The undergraduate research course will have the same course number as the departmental academic year research course number; and
- Credit hours are based on current hours for research course credit:
- 3 Credit Hour Course would require a minimum of 126 hours of research experience
- 2 Credit Hour Course would require a minimum of 84 hours of research experience
- 1 Credit Hour Course would require a minimum of 42 hours of research experience
Rice students may be eligible to apply for additional federal loan funds if enrolled for 6 or more hours at Rice University during the summer term. Financial aid is not available for visiting students. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for additional information by phone (713-348-4958) or email (
Enrollment Process for Rice Students
Currently enrolled Rice students should register online via
as per normal registration processes and procedures. Please familiarize yourself with and adhere to all registration and payment deadlines as noted on the Summer 2017 Academic Calendar as soon as it is posted.
March 13, 2017: Summer 2017 registration opens in
A Rice student who graduates in May 2017 is eligible to register for Summer 2017 courses as a Visiting Post Baccalaureate student only. Any credits earned for Summer 2017 are not eligible to be applied to a previously awarded degree. To register for Summer 2017 courses, these students should follow the
Enrollment Process for Non-Rice Students below.
Enrollment Process for Non-Rice Students
All visiting students must follow the Enrollment Process for Non-Rice Students, as outlined below. Houston area high school students who are rising seniors and above must submit additional application materials for high school students, which is detailed below.
NOTE: Visiting Students, who are not current Texas
residents, wishing to register for one of the few courses offered online during
the Summer Sessions should contact the Office of the Registrar to verify
To apply, students will need to submit the following materials to the Rice University Office of the Registrar:
- Visiting Student Application
- Dean of Students Recommendation Form (visiting undergraduates from other institutions only)
- Application fee of $100. This must be paid online on the
OTR Fees website and may be paid by credit card or electronic check.
- Course deposit of $200/course (payable by check or money order to Rice University)
- Official college transcript from all colleges or universities attended
- Official final high school transcript (waived if attended a college/university in Spring 2017) All transcripts must be mailed in and will not be accepted by fax or email.
- Proof of Meningococcal Vaccination Record or Waiver (required if under the age of 22). Note: students enrolling in one of the few 100%-online courses are not required to provide proof of the vaccination.
- International Student Check-In Sheet and Documentation, if applicable
- If a rising high school senior or recent high school graduate, please see below for additional application materials required.
Additional application materials required for Houston area high school students:
- Teacher and counselor recommendation attesting to the applicant's ability to pursue a university-level course;
- Test scores (SAT or ACT); either an official copy or as reported on the student's high school transcript;
- Official high school transcript
*Admission to this program does not constitute admission to Rice University.
Application Deadlines (for Non-Rice Students):
Application deadlines for visiting students will be posted as soon as the Summer 2017 Academic Calendar is finalized. Please check back for more details.
Application Forms and Paperwork
Mail ALL documents to this EXACT address:Rice University Office of the Registrar, MS-57
6100 Main Street
Houston, TX 77005
Information for Departments
Information for departments regarding administrative processes for Summer Sessions is available on the
Summer Sessions information page for schools and departments.
Questions? Need Info? Who to contact?
If you have additional questions, please contact the Office of the Registrar by phone (713-348-4999) or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).