Rice University
Office of the Registrar
Working with the Rice community to provide quality service and records management


Transfer Credit

Courses taken at another regionally accredited college or university, that are appropriate to the Rice curriculum, may be approved for transfer credit toward a Rice University undergraduate degree. This includes credit for summer school courses not taken at Rice. Credit is normally given for courses that meet the following conditions:

  • equivalent to courses that are or could be offered at Rice
  • completed at a regionally-accredited, or its foreign equivalent, academic institution
  • completed with at least a grade of C- or its equivalent
  • cannot be used to satisfy high school graduation requirements (dual-credit)
  • taken for a grade (not taken pass/fail)
  • after matriculation, students are limited to 15 semester hours of summer school transfer credit during their Rice career
  • official transcripts can be mailed or hand delivered in the original sealed/unopened envelope
  • current students require permission from the Dean of Undergraduates if they plan to register concurrently at another university. 

Students must secure permission in writing from the Office of the Dean of Undergraduates before registering for transfer courses if they want to register concurrently at another institution.

The following types of non-traditional course work will not transfer to Rice for undergraduate credit:

  • life experience; courses offered by non-collegiate sponsors such as businesses and government agencies; and labor unions, even if evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE)
  • equivalency examinations (e.g. CLEP)
  • remedial, college preparatory, and life skills courses
  • areas of study offered by regionally accredited institutions but not offered at Rice, such as; agriculture, hotel management, police academy, and fire science.

Credit for Military Education

Academic credit will only be awarded for course work taken at one of the regionally accredited U.S. Military academies or the Community College of the Air Force.

TRAN Credit vs. Rice Equivalent Credit

As stated above, TRAN credit is general elective credit that counts toward a student's total hour requirement for graduation. Rice equivalent credit satisfies the same major, minor, and distribution requirements as courses taken at Rice. Students transferring in courses from other institutions are generally awarded TRAN credit. Students wishing to convert TRAN credit to Rice equivalent credit will need to:

  1. Obtain the course description or syllabi for the classes you would like to convert from TRAN.
  2. Look at the Rice Course Catalogexternal_link and match up the transfer classes to Rice classes.
  3. Undergraduates should complete the Undergraduate Request for Transfer CreditPDF form available online or in the Office of the Registrar.
  4. Undergraduates must meet with the appropriate Departmental Transfer Credit Advisorexternal_link and obtain his/her approval signature. The Business, Chemistry, Economics, English, History, Physics, and Political Science departments will not grant Rice equivalent credit to coursework completed at community colleges or 2-year institutions. Chemistry requires that courses are taken at a 4-year college or university that offers a degree in Chemistry certified by the American Chemical Society. Additionally, Anthropology, Civil EngineeringClassical Studies, Economics, English, History, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, and Sociology will not grant Rice equivalent credit to coursework completed online. 
  5. Submit the completed form to the Office of the Registrar. 

The Office of the Registrar, in conjunction with academic departments, determine whether courses are appropriate for transfer to Rice as specific Rice equivalent courses or as TRAN credit. Rice equivalent transfer credit satisfies the same university, major, minor, and distribution requirements as Rice enrollment. Rice equivalent credit usually requires departmental approval. TRAN credit can be awarded as lower-level (TRAN 100), upper-level (TRAN 300), or graduate (TRAN 500). TRAN credit counts toward general elective hours required for graduation and for upper-level credit requirements if the Office of the Registrar designates the TRAN credit as upper-level. Transfer course grades do not appear on a student’s record and have no effect on a student's Rice grade point average.

Turnaround Time

Once the Office of the Registrar receives your official transcript from the other college or university, you should allow a minimum of two weeks for the transfer credit to post to your record. Students will be notified by e-mail when the transfer credit updates are complete.

Details on transferring credit for:

Top of Page

Last Revised : April 04, 2016