Fall Semester 2022 Course Scheduling Information
This Office of the Registrar webpage addresses specific topics and areas of change in preparation for Fall Semester 2022.
Table of Contents
- Overview of Messaging
- Course Scheduling Timeline
- Academic Calendar
- Course Schedule
- Classroom Assignments
President and Provost Messages Regarding Fall 2022
- Fall Course Instruction (8-17-2022) - Provides various details regarding instruction for Fall 2022, including: masking, vaccinations, exposure and illness protocol, accommodations, and modified delivery of instruction.
Office of the Registrar Messages to Department Schedulers Regarding Fall 2022
The Office of the Registrar (OTR) has sent the following emails to departmental schedulers about the Fall 2022:
- CourseLeaf CLSS: Fall 2022 Open (1/12/2022) - Announcement that Fall 2022 is open for scheduling along with original deadlines.
- CourseLeaf CLSS: Fall 2022 Deadline Friday (1/31/2022) - Reminder about the first deadline for the Fall 2022 schedule.
- CourseLeaf CLSS: Fall 2022 Open (2/14/2022) - Announcement that Fall 2022 is open for scheduling in Refine Mode.
- CourseLeaf CLSS: Fall 2022 Deadline (3-8-2022) - Reminder of scheduling deadline for Fall 2022
- CourseLeaf CLSS - Fall 2022 Published (3-23-2022) - Announcement that the course schedule for Fall 2022 has been published
- CourseLeaf CLSS: Fall 2022 Rooms Posters (8-4-2022) - Announcement that rooms for Fall 2022 are posted
- CourseLeaf CLSS: Fall 2022 Course Times Blocked (8-9-2022) - Announcement that certain times have been blocked from new sections or time changes for Fall 2022
- CourseLeaf CLSS: Fall 2022 Group Research-Internship Identification (8-30-2022): Reminder to update courses that need the "Group Research" attribute.
The course schedule quick tips/scheduling timeframe specific to Fall 2022 can be found here.
The academic calendar can be accessed on the Fall Semester 2022 academic calendar page.
- Are there any changes to the Fall 2022 academic calendar?
No, there are no changes to the Fall Semester 2022 as of 8/9/2022.
- Are there any changes to in-person or online delivery due to COVID?
No changes to online or in-person delivery have been announced as of 8/9/2022.
The OTR is preparing for a "normal" semester. Because of that, many of the scheduling rules and policies that were suspended in previous semesters (e.g., Spring 2021 and Fall 2021) have been put back into place. The bullet points below highlight some key items.
- The standard time blocks for Fall 2022 will be the university's normal/original standard time blocks found here.
- Non-standard meeting time requests will require a curricular rationale for the selected time; otherwise, the time will be removed and return to the department blank after the initial review if the requested time significantly alters classroom availability or impacts student scheduling.
- Courses will need approval to be offered online through the original process: a course must be approved in CourseLeaf CIM and have been approved for online instruction before it can be placed on the schedule as online.
- The 2/3 Prime Time Rule for course scheduling will be enforced.
- Review scheduling emails and deadlines (listed above and in emails to department schedulers) and submit appropriate changes by the deadlines.
In January 2012, Rice's Faculty Senate approved a student-initiated motion regarding syllabus standards and the required distributing of course syllabus information. Syllabi are normally required to be uploaded by the first day of classes. Uploading a syllabus will enable students to successfully "shop" for courses during the ADD/DROP period. All students, even those not registered for the course, are able to view a syllabus that has been posted/archived within ESTHER.
Additional information regarding course syllabi can be found on the Course Syllabus page.
How did you determine the initial slate of courses listed for departments to edit?
The courses listed for departments in the first round of scheduling came from Fall 2021. Departments should edit this list to indicate the Fall 2022 offerings.
The OTR will begin assigning classrooms for Fall 2022 using enrollment data for Fall 2022 as well as predicted enrollment based on previous semesters. The goal is to have all classrooms assigned and posted by late July.
It is extremely important that departments and schools review the course schedule information to determine for each course whether an OTR-Scheduled or Department-Scheduled Room is needed. Failure to provide complete and accurate information may result in the OTR being unable to find a suitable classroom for the course.
- When will room assignments be released?
The process of assigning classrooms is a long and tedious process. The OTR uses an electronic system "optimizer" tool but then manually reviews and adjusts based on other known variables. Our goal is to release classroom assignments in around late July, approximately a month before the first day of classes.
- What if the classroom I am assigned will not work for me or my class?
The supply of classrooms is limited. If your assigned classroom poses a significant problem, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and explain the issue and what you think can be done to rectify it. We will make every attempt to satisfy your need, but please keep in mind that it is possible that the assigned room may be the best or only option available.
- If a course is being held online only, will an instructor teaching online be assigned a room?
Generally, no, a room will not be assigned. Should a room be needed for the instructor to give the presentation, use classroom technology, utilize a whiteboard, please email email@example.com, and we will find an appropriate room for what is needed from the available spaces.