Graduation is the culmination of a degree-seeking student's career at Rice University. Information about how to prepare during your final year for this important event can be found on the Preparing for Graduation page, while information regarding the spring Commencement Ceremony is available via the Rice Commencement page. Instructions for obtaining your diploma or ordering a replacement diploma can be found on the Diploma Information page.
Important things to remember about graduation:
- Degrees are conferred three times a year, at the end of each semester, in August, December, and May.
- The university's Commencement Ceremonies weekend takes place at the end of the Spring semester, in May.
- This year's spring Commencement Ceremonies will be held May 5-6, 2023 with the following events:
- Friday, May 5, 2023
- Jones School (MBA) Commencement Ceremony, held in the evening (7:00 p.m.) at Rice Stadium
- Saturday, May 6, 2023
- Doctoral Commencement Ceremony, held in the morning (9:00 a.m.) at Tudor Fieldhouse
- Advanced Degree Commencement Ceremony, held in the afternoon (2:00 p.m.) at Tudor Fieldhouse
- Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony, held in the evening (7:00 p.m.) at Rice Stadium
- Friday, May 5, 2023
- For Summer and Fall degree recipients, there is an available winter Commencement Ceremony, scheduled for Tuesday, December 5, 2023. Eligible participants can attend that event, or wait until the following Spring.
Studying Abroad During Your Senior Year
The Study Abroad Office, along with the Office of the Registrar, strongly discourages students from completing degree requirements while participating in a study abroad program during the final semester of their senior year.
However, should students choose to complete degree requirements while abroad in the spring, it should be noted that their degree will not be conferred until the official transcripts have been received which will delay graduation until the following August or December. Likewise, if students choose to complete degree requirements while abroad in the fall, their degree will not be conferred until the following May.
For more information about the graduation certification process, please see this page.