Undergraduate Students Transferring College Credit Completed during High School

What criteria must be met for college work completed during high school to be considered for transfer?

The college courses, on the official college transcript, must not have been used to meet high school graduation requirements and must not appear on your high school transcript as dual credit. Additionally, each course must have been taught by regular members of the college faculty and should be part of the normal curriculum of the college.

Summer Enrichment, Exploration, Seminar, and Workshop courses for high school students are not eligible to receive transfer credit at Rice.

English Composition courses are not eligible for transfer; Rice's First-Year Writing-Intensive Seminar (FWIS) is required of all first-year students.

Mathematics courses below Calculus I do not transfer.

What documentation is required for the Office of the Registrar to consider college work taken during high school for transfer credit?

Two documents are required:

  • An Official College Transcript
  • Verification documentation from the High School (see 2. below).

As per the General Announcements, college-level courses taken during high school years may be considered for credit at Rice upon receipt of the following:

  1. An official transcript of all college courses sent directly from the college(s) attended. The college courses should be part of the normal curriculum of the college.
  2. Official notification by letter from the high school principal or guidance counselor that the credit earned was not used to meet high school graduation requirements. The transcript will not be considered without the letter from the counselor. The letter should be mailed to the following address: Rice University, 6100 Main St MS-57, Houston, TX 77005.
What if I am now a student at Rice and my college credit (taken during high school) meets all of the Rice criteria, but I still haven’t received transfer credit?

Most likely, we have not received the necessary and required documentation.

What if I received TRAN credit, but I am certain the course has a Rice equivalent?

The following process can be used to convert TRAN to a specific Rice equivalent course. Obtain course descriptions or syllabi for the classes you would like to convert from TRAN.

  1. Look at the Rice Course Catalog and match up the transfer classes to Rice classes.
  2. Undergraduates should complete the Undergraduate Request for Transfer Credit form available online or in the Office of the Registrar.
  3. Undergraduates must meet with the appropriate Departmental Transfer Credit Advisor and obtain his/her approval signature. The BioSciences, Business, Chemistry, Economics, English, History, and Physics departments will not grant Rice equivalent credit to coursework completed at community colleges or 2-year institutions. Additionally, Anthropology, Civil Engineering, Classical Studies, Economics, English, History, Philosophy, Physics, and Sociology will not grant Rice equivalent credit to coursework completed online.
  4. Submit the completed form to the Office of the Registrar.

If courses transferred to Rice as TRAN credit are subsequently granted Rice equivalent course credit by the Office of the Registrar and the academic department, the original TRAN credit is reduced by the number of credit hours allowed for the Rice equivalent course. The Rice equivalent transfer credit is then listed on the student's transcript and satisfies the same university and major requirements as Rice enrollment.