- 2021 Summer Sessions
- 2021 Summer Courses
- 2021 Courses Held Face-to-Face / In-Person Only
- 2021 Summer Tuition and Fees
- Financial Aid
- Enrollment Process for Rice Students
- Enrollment Process for Fall 2021 Incoming Rice Undergraduate Students
- Enrollment Process for Non-Rice Students
- Information for Departments
- Questions? Need Info? Who to contact?
- Application Information for Visiting Students
Find information on the application for visiting students here.
Rice University is pleased to offer the Summer Sessions. Consisting of six blocks, the summer program is an opportunity for currently enrolled Rice students and visiting students from other institutions (including rising high school juniors/seniors and recent high school graduates) to take college coursework for credit.
Courses will be available online only except for the exceptions noted below.
Rice's Office of the Registrar is coordinating the summer semester. The schedule of blocks can be found on the Academic Calendar for Summer 2021.
The Summer 2021 course schedule is posted to Rice's Course Schedule. Any additions, changes, or cancellations to the schedule will be posted on this page as soon as we receive them. We encourage you to check the Course Schedule frequently.
While most courses will be held online, the following courses have been approved to be offered in-person only:
- BIOS 110 001 (31025) - INTRODUCTION TO RESEARCH
- BIOS 211 001 (30845) - EXPERIMENTAL BIOSCIENCES
- CHEM 123 001 (30853) - GENERAL CHEMISTRY LAB I
- CHEM 124 001 (31011) - GENERAL CHEMISTRY LAB II
- CHEM 215 001 (31012) - ORGANIC CHEMISTRY LAB
Tuition for the 2021 Summer Sessions is available on the Cashier's Office website.
Rice Undergraduate Summer Research or Internship Experience
Current Rice degree-seeking students may enroll in an organized summer undergraduate research or internship course for credit and not be charged tuition for up to 3 credit hours. For eligibility criteria, please see the following:
- Students enrolled must be continuing, degree-seeking Rice students, and be enrolled at Rice for both the book-end Spring/Fall semesters of the summer research/internship year;
- Some course may require instructor approval, which will prevent students from registering for the course on ESTHER. Students will need to receive instructor's approval for the course by completing an Undergraduate Special Registration (and Request for Registration Restriction Override) Form and returning it to the Office of the Registrar to process;
- Departments must certify and submit standard letter grade credit;
- The undergraduate research/internship course will have the same course number as the departmental academic year research course number; and
- Credit hours are based on current hours for research/internship course credit:
- 3 Credit Hour Course would require a minimum of 126 hours of research/internship experience
- 2 Credit Hour Course would require a minimum of 84 hours of research/internship experience
- 1 Credit Hour Course would require a minimum of 42 hours of research/internship experience
- If an internship, it must be a domestic internship. Internship courses that include international travel are not eligible for the waiver.
Rice students may be eligible to apply for additional federal loan funds if enrolled for 6 or more hours at Rice University during the summer term. Need-based financial aid will be available on a limited basis for students who receive need-based aid during academic year 2020-21. This will be limited to up to 9 credit hours of Rice courses during an undergraduate student’s time at Rice and will not count toward the 8 semesters of need-based aid allowed by Rice’s financial aid policy. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for additional information by phone (713-348-4958) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Financial aid is not available for visiting students.
Courses are available in online format only. Currently enrolled Rice students should register online via ESTHER as per normal registration processes and procedures for courses they wish to register for. Please familiarize yourself with and adhere to all registration and payment deadlines as noted on the Summer 2021 Academic Calendar.
December 18, 2020: Summer 2021 registration opens in ESTHER
A Rice student who graduates in May 2021 is eligible to register for Summer 2021 courses as a Visiting Post Baccalaureate student only. Any credits earned for Summer 2021 are not eligible to be applied to a previously awarded degree. To register for Summer 2021 courses, these students should register themselves directly in ESTHER. If they are unable to do so due to their account being inactive, please email email@example.com.
Information regarding the enrollment process for Incoming Fall 2021 Rice Undergraduate Students, including a list of eligible courses, is available here.
Courses are available in online format only. All visiting students must follow the Enrollment Process for Non-Rice Students, as outlined below. High school students who are rising juniors and above must submit additional application materials for high school students, which is detailed below.
Please note that visiting students may not take courses on a pass/fail basis.
It is essential that visiting students be aware of and follow the deadlines listed on the Summer 2021 Academic Calendar. Course offerings are at the discretion of Rice and may be canceled at any time for any reason; should a class you wish to enroll in be canceled, we will assist you in finding a suitable alternative course.
December 18, 2020: Admission and registration process for (summer 2021) visiting students officially opens (for visiting students, including visiting online and visiting high school students, to apply for Rice visiting student status). Registration is contingent on admission.
To apply, students will need to submit an application to the Rice University Office of the Registrar:
In addition to the application, students may be asked to supply the following:
- Name and contact information from a representative at your current educational institution (e.g. Dean, counselor, etc.). Upon providing the contact information in your application, an email will be automatically generated to the recommender. The email will request that the recommender complete the Dean of Students Recommendation Form on behalf of the student.
- Proof of Meningococcal Vaccination Record or Waiver (required if under the age of 22). Note: students enrolling in 100%-online courses are not required to provide proof of the vaccination.
- International Student Check-In Sheet and additional international documentation (if applicable)
- Release and Hold Harmless Agreement (required if under the age of 18)
- Visiting Student Financial Responsibility and Parental Consent
In addition to the application, you will be required to supply the following:
- Application fee:
- $75 for Visiting High School, Visiting Undergraduate, and Visiting Post Baccalaureate
- $50 for Visiting Auditor
- Official college transcript from all colleges or universities attended. (Please submit after completing the Visiting Student Application. Submitting transcripts first may result in a delay in processing your application.)
- Official final high school transcript (waived if attended a college/university in Spring 2021). All transcripts must be mailed in or sent from the school directly to firstname.lastname@example.org via email. Transcripts will not be accepted by fax or email from applicants.
Admission to this program does not constitute admission to Rice University.
Application Deadlines (for Non-Rice Students)
Application deadlines for visiting students are posted on the Summer 2021 Academic Calendar.
Where to Send Documentation (for Non-Rice Students)
Mail ALL documents to this EXACT address:
Rice University Office of the Registrar, MS-57
6100 Main Street
Houston, TX 77005
Information for departments regarding administrative processes for Summer Sessions is available on the Summer Sessions information page for schools and departments.
If you have additional questions, please contact the Office of the Registrar by phone (713-348-4999) or by email (email@example.com).