Undergraduate Transfer Students Completing College Credit Prior to Matriculation at Rice

I am interested in transferring to Rice. Where do I start?

Visit the Rice University Office of Admission web site for detailed instructions about the transfer application process, requirements and associated deadlines.

Does Rice have an equivalency guide I can use to determine how my courses will transfer to Rice?

For various reasons, Rice does not have an overarching equivalency guide. The best way to determine the transferability of your coursework is to review the Rice Course Catalog. Look for courses with the same titles or with the same course descriptions as those you wish to transfer. Your initial transfer credit evaluation (completed by the Office of the Registrar after you are accepted to Rice) will most likely include a high proportion of TRAN or general elective credit. Generally Rice equivalent credit will only be awarded to select introductory courses with course titles that have direct matches to those at Rice. Once you arrive at Rice, you will have the opportunity to pursue approvals to convert TRAN credit to Rice equivalent credit.

Can I transfer credit from a school outside of the United States?

Students seeking transfer credit for courses taken prematriculation and postmatriculation at institutions outside the United States must present a professional course-by-course evaluation of the foreign official transcript. The professional evaluation must verify that the foreign institution is equivalent to a regionally accredited U.S. academic institution and must include an explanation of credits earned (including U.S. semester hour equivalents), grade equivalents, and course levels (lower or upper level). Two reliable services with course-by-course evaluations that include this required information are:

All professional evaluations should be obtained from one of these two recommended credential services and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Payment for the professional evaluation is the responsibility of the student.

Does Rice accept transfer credit from community colleges?

We do accept transfer credit from community colleges, but please be aware that if you receive TRAN credit for any community college coursework completed prior to matriculation at Rice, you may not be approved to convert TRAN to Rice equivalent credit. Many academic departments do not approve Rice equivalent credit from community colleges. The BioSciences, Business, Chemistry, Economics, English, History, and Physics departments will not grant Rice equivalent credit to coursework completed at community colleges or 2-year institutions.

What if I want to transfer credit from a quarter-system school?

Any transfer coursework completed on a quarter system basis will be converted to semester hours for Rice transfer credit. Multiply quarter hours by 2/3 to calculate semester hours. For instance, if you take a 4 quarter hour course at UCLA, you will only receive 2.67 semester hours at Rice.

Do any restrictions apply to the number of credits I can transfer to Rice?

Students with substantial transfer credit should be aware of the general graduation requirements (as documented in the General Announcements). Students must complete at least 60 semester hours at Rice, complete more than half of their upper-level degree work and more than half of their upper-level major work at Rice (students should also check on specific department major requirements).

What are some examples of courses that are not transferable?

Only courses appropriate to the Rice curriculum are considered for transfer. Examples of courses that do not meet this criterion include developmental reading courses, pre-calculus, and college algebra. Plus, college courses taken during high school must meet additional criteria to be considered transferable.

What if my transfer evaluation (which will be provided after acceptance at Rice) shows I have been granted TRAN credit but I am certain the course has a direct Rice equivalent?

The following process can be used to convert TRAN to a specific Rice equivalent course. Obtain course descriptions or syllabi for the classes you would like to convert from TRAN.

  1. Look at the Rice Course Catalog and match up the transfer classes to Rice classes.
  2. Undergraduates should complete the Undergraduate Request for Transfer Credit form available online or in the Office of the Registrar.
  3. Undergraduates must meet with the appropriate Departmental Transfer Credit Advisor and obtain his/her approval signature. The BioSciences, Business, Chemistry, Economics, English, History, and Physics departments will not grant Rice equivalent credit to coursework completed at community colleges or 2-year institutions. Additionally, Anthropology, Civil Engineering, Classical Studies, Economics, English, History, Philosophy, Physics, and Sociology will not grant Rice equivalent credit to coursework completed online.
  4. Submit the completed form to the Office of the Registrar.

If courses transferred to Rice as TRAN credit are subsequently granted Rice equivalent course credit by the Office of the Registrar and the academic department, the original TRAN credit is reduced by the number of credit hours allowed for the Rice equivalent course. The Rice equivalent transfer credit is then listed on the student's transcript and satisfies the same university and major requirements as Rice enrollment.

If I become a degree-seeking student at Rice after attending as a Visiting Undergraduate Student, will my credit hours apply toward the degree?

Credit hours earned as a Visiting Undergraduate student at Rice do not automatically apply toward a Rice degree program if a student becomes a degree-seeking undergraduate at Rice. In order for a degree-seeking undergraduate student at Rice to have courses taken as a Visiting Undergraduate count toward their Rice degree program, the student must petition the Committee on Examinations and Standing (EX&S).