Course and Instructor Evaluations
Spring Semester 2021
The Course and Instructor Evaluation process will begin on Monday, April 19 and continue thru Friday, May 28. It will run for six weeks. You will need to log in to your ESTHER account to complete your evaluations. Please note that the evaluation process is always confidential and we encourage every Rice Owl to participate and participate early. Your input counts!
Summer Semester 2021
The Course and Instructor Evaluations for Summer Sessions will be available in Esther for three weeks, and each block/session has its own start and end dates. Please see below:
- Summer Session II – Monday, May 24 thru Friday, June 11
- 1st Half of Full Term – Monday, June 7 thru Friday, June 25
- Summer Blocks B1 and C1 –Monday, June 21 thru Friday, July 9
- Summer Block E1 – Monday, July 19 thru Friday, August 6
- Summer Block D1 – Monday, July 26 thru Friday, August 13
- Full Term/2nd Half of Full Term – Monday, August 2 thru Friday, August 20
- Summer Blocks B2 and SC2 – Monday, August 2 thru Friday, August 20
- Summer Session I/Summer Session Internship – Monday, August 2 thru Friday, August 20
Please note that the evaluation process is always confidential, and we encourage every Rice Owl to participate and participate early. Your input counts!
Evaluation Response Rates
Beginning with the Spring 2006 semester, the evaluation process went from being paper-based to online via ESTHER. Student evaluators were able to complete their evaluations privately and at times of their convenience. Initially response rates dipped, but since Spring 2007 student response rates have been and remain high.
Course and Instructor Evaluation summaries are available on the Course and Instructor Summarized Evaluations page. To access this page, you will need to authenticate using your NetID and password after clicking the link. The data is now on the Rice Tableau Dataviz Server and instructions to navigate in Tableau are on the Summarized Evaluations page.
Spring 2007 to Present
Beginning with the Spring 2007 semester, Course and Instructor Evaluation results are available to students and instructors via ESTHER. For information about viewing graphs and narratives, see the Viewing Narratives and Graphs in ESTHER page.
Prior to Spring 2007
The Faculty Information System (FIS) is used for semesters prior to Spring 2007 and contains both the numerical graphs and the narratives. Course and Instructor Evaluation data in the FIS dates back to Fall 2003. The evaluation results gathered between Fall 2003 and Fall 2005 were handwritten and manually scanned into the online system (FIS). Instructors and staff can access evaluation results via the Faculty Information System (FIS) using your Net-ID and Password.
If you have problems using FIS due to your internet browser (Safari, Internet Explorer, etc.), please contact the IT Helpdesk.
When viewing scanned data, please note cross-listed course evaluations have been combined and will appear under each course listing. For example, if ANTH 200 (enrollment 2; group enrollment 25) is cross-listed with LING 200 (enrollment 23; group enrollment 25) with a total of 21 course evaluations received, the 21 course evaluations will post under both ANTH 200 and LING 200.
Should they desire to do so, the course instructor can submit a "response" to evaluation narratives in ESTHER. For information about responding to evaluation narratives, see the Responding to Evaluation Narratives in ESTHER page.
If you have course and instructor evaluation questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questionnaire redesign made responding less tedious
- Students now having the ability to view their peers' comments
- Evaluation period extended to a total of six (6) weeks
- Students prompted to complete course and instructor evaluations before viewing final grades