Summer Sessions Enrollment Process for Incoming Fall Rice Undergraduate Students
- Registration Requirements
- Summer Tuition and Fees
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Student Support
- Eligible Courses for Incoming Matriculants
Rice University is pleased to allow incoming Rice freshman and transfer students the ability to take a course during the Summer Sessions. The schedule of Summer Sessions blocks can be found on the Academic Calendar for Summer 2023. The Academic Calendar for Summer 2023 also includes information regarding add/drop dates, tuition refunds, and withdrawals.
Incoming students are eligible to take one for-credit course (up to 4 credit hours) from a selection of approved summer courses (listed below), beginning in Summer Block D1. These approved courses have been listed below. Incoming students will not be able to register for a course that has not been approved. The tuition rate for Rice undergraduates is available on the Cashier’s Office website, and financial aid is available for eligible students.
|Blocks||Block Dates||Registration via ESTHER Deadline|
|Summer Block D1||May 30-August 4, 2023 (10 weeks)||May 28, 2023|
|Summer Block E1||June 12-July 28, 2023 (7 weeks)||June 11, 2023|
|Summer Block B2||June 26-August 11, 2023 (7 weeks)||June 25, 2023|
|Summer Block C2||July 3-August 11, 2023 (6 weeks)||July 2, 2023|
Incoming students who would like to take a summer session course must do three things before registering for courses:
- Attend one of the virtual Intro to Academics Session listed below. Sign up will be available within the Applicant Portal after clicking on the "Summer at Rice" tab.
- Session 1: Date/time to be determined.
- Session 2: Date/time to be determined.
- Complete the 2023 Matriculating Class Canvas module, inclusive of the Honor Code Quiz and Rice Policies modules: Not Yet Available
- Submit to Rice the Health Data Form. More information found here: https://health.rice.edu/new-students/health-data-form
Once these elements are complete, registration holds will be removed from student accounts within two to three business days. All other holds will also need to be cleared before students can login to the ESTHER course registration system and register for their course.
Please check your holds by:
- Logging in to ESTHER
- Select “Student Services & Account Information”
- Select “View Holds”
- Confirm that there are no other holds on your account
If you have holds on your account, consult the Holds page at registrar.rice.edu/students/holds.
2023 Summer Tuition and Fees
Tuition and fee rates for 2023 Summer Sessions are available on the Cashier’s Office website. Billing and payment information can be reviewed at https://cashier.rice.edu/student-accounts.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I have AP credit (or other credit), but ESTHER is not allowing me to register for a higher-level course. Why?
AP credit (and other credit) is not given to Rice by the testing organization until July, and then it takes some time for Rice to process the credit. Until the credit is on your record, you will not be able to register for a higher-level course. Information about course credit for transfer students is available on the Office of the Registrar’s website.
- Am I able to use Financial Aid to help cover the cost of a summer course?
Yes. For more information about Financial Aid and summer students, please visit the Financial Aid website.
- I’m having trouble logging into Canvas/accessing the 2022 Matriculating Class Canvas module. What do I do?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are experiencing any issues with Canvas. If you have problems accessing the 2023 Matriculating Class Canvas course or the modules, please contact email@example.com.
- How do I drop a course, and when is the last day I can do so?
For the Summer Semester 2022, Fall matriculants may drop a course up until the last day of classes for the respective class. How you drop a course is dependent upon when you are dropping:
- To drop after the "last day to drop via ESTHER" according to the Academic Calendar for Summer 2023: complete a Special Registration Form (instructor signature not needed) and email to firstname.lastname@example.org from your @rice.edu address.
- To drop on or before the "last day to drop via ESTHER" according to the Academic Calendar for Summer 2023: drop within esther.rice.edu
Please note that depending on when you drop the course, you may or may not receive a refund for the course. You should consult the Academic Calendar for Summer 2023 (and Financial Aid, if receiving aid) to determine if you will be issued a refund.
We are here to support you over the summer through a range of offices and services that are available to you as a Rice student.
Office of Academic Advising
Email: email@example.com | Phone: 713-348-4060
Note: If you are a student athlete, please contact Kendal Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-348-2810.
Student Success Initiatives - Help with study skills, time management
The Honor Council - For questions regarding the Honor System and academic integrity
Center for Academic and Professional Communication - Writing support
Wellbeing and Counseling Center - Mental health and wellbeing support
Contact Center | Phone: 713-348-3311
Center for Career Development
Email: email@example.com | Phone: 713-348-4055
Disability Resource Center
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: 713-348-5841
Office of Financial Aid
Email: email@example.com | Phone: 713-348-4958
Cashier's Office - Billing and payment
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: 713-348-4946
2023 Summer Courses Eligible for Incoming Matriculants
The Summer 2023 course schedule is posted to Rice's Course Schedule, but not all courses are eligible for incoming matriculants. Approved courses are listed below.
SEARCH WITHIN RESULTS:
You're currently browsing all courses.