SERVICE ALERT: Due to the pandemic and other variables, there may be notable delays in mail delivery. In particular, there are some international destinations where mail processing has been significantly disrupted, including some international jurisdictions where mail cannot be delivered. Before ordering a paper copy of your transcript, please check to ensure that the transcript can be delivered. Please visit the US Postal Service service alerts webpage, available here, for current mail service updates.
PLEASE NOTE: In many instances, electronic transcripts ordered through the National Student Clearinghouse might be the best option for timely delivery.
- Rice University provides official hard-copy transcripts and electronic transcripts.
- Hard-copy transcript processing takes 1-2 business days during non-peak periods; however, during peak periods, an additional 1-2 days may be required to complete transcript orders.
- Hard-copy transcripts are sent first-class mail via USPS (approximately 2-3 day delivery time for domestic destinations).
- Hard-copy transcripts can be ordered through ESTHER at a cost of $10 per transcript, or through the National Student Clearinghouse at a cost of $10.25 each.
- Electronic transcripts must be ordered through the National Student Clearinghouse and are sent via secured email as a PDF file. The latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader or Professional and Adobe Flash must be used in opening an electronic transcript. Note: Mac users should use Firefox web browser to open an electronic transcript.
- Rice transcripts do not contain social security numbers, which may make it difficult for the receiving institution to match your records.
- If a hard-copy transcript order needs expedited shipping, additional fees will apply and can be paid through OTR Fees. The cost for expedited domestic shipping is $30.00. The cost for expedited international shipping varies. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your specific request or to get an estimate for expedited international shipping fees.
- Per university policy, official transcripts will not be released to anyone whose financial obligations have not been met.
How to Request
Official transcripts can be ordered online via ESTHER or via the National Student Clearinghouse. While both methods of online transcript ordering offer 24/7 convenience and secure transactions via major credit cards, ESTHER is the preferred method of order submission; however, electronic transcripts must be ordered through the National Student Clearinghouse.
Unofficial transcripts can also be viewed online via ESTHER. To access, student should log into ESTHER, and then click on the "Student Services and Account Information" tab. On the next screen, under Student Records, students should click the "Unofficial Academic Transcript" link, and follow the prompts to print or save a copy.
ESTHER is the online self-service resource for students and alumni at Rice. Additional information on ESTHER can be located on the ESTHER FAQ page.
To access to ESTHER, students and alumni should log in with their NetID and password, after which they will be prompted to authenticate using Duo, a security authentication tool. For more information on Duo*, please visit the Duo Enrollment Guide page.
Alumni who pre-date the ESTHER system (prior to 2004) should use the ESTHER PIN Login method. To do so, click on the ESTHER PIN Login box and enter Student ID Number and ESTHER PIN to log in. Alumni who need assistance with their ESTHER login credentials (Student ID Number or ESTHER PIN) should send a request to email@example.com from their Rice alumni email account.
For alumni who have not yet created a Rice alumni email address or account, please complete the ESTHER Access Request Form and upload the completed form along with copies of supporting documentation via the Office of the Registrar's secure upload mechanism. Once the request is processed, the requested ESTHER login credentials will be sent to the email address provided on the form.
*If assistance if needed with Duo, NetID, and/or password, please contact the OIT Help Desk:
Phone: 713-348-HELP (4357)
Placing an Order on ESTHER
To place an order in ESTHER:
- Login to ESTHER
- Click Student Services & Account Information > Student Records & Account Information > Order an Official Transcript
- Carefully read and follow the step-by-step process
- If additional documents or attachments need to be sent with your transcript, you must email or fax them immediately after ordering your transcript.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 713-348-5921 ATTN: Transcripts
After one business day, you may verify the status of your transcript order in ESTHER:
- Login to ESTHER
- Click Student Services & Account Information > Student Records & Account Information > View Previous Transcript Orders
- Select the appropriate order (by date)
National Student Clearinghouse (NSC)
To ensure confidentiality and to comply with federal regulations, a signature release form is required. The signature release form can be electronically signed and submitted to the NSC.
Placing an Order with the NSC
To place an order and obtain your release form through the NSC:
- Go to the National Student Clearinghouse
- Select Rice University from the pull-down menu
- Click Submit
- Carefully read and follow the step-by-step process
You can track your order online and you will receive email updates. If the consent form for your order is outstanding, links to both a PDF and HTML version of your form will be available online. You can electronically sign & submit, fax, email or mail the completed form to the National Student Clearinghouse. You can also obtain a copy of the consent form by clicking the link in the email updates.
You can also upload up to three (3) forms to accompany either your hard-copy or electronic transcript request as well.
If you have technical difficulties ordering a transcript or viewing an electronic transcript, please contact the National Student Clearinghouse at email@example.com. You can also view the self-help webpage provided by the National Student Clearinghouse at https://nschelpcenter.force.com/student/s/
On occasion, students have a need to request an apostille/authentication of certain documents. Information regarding apostilles in the state of Texas can be found here.
To obtain an apostille/authentication of a transcript from Rice University:
- Submit a transcript request online via ESTHER or via the National Student Clearinghouse.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to inform transcript analyst that transcript needs be notarized for an apostille.
- The Office of the Registrar can mail the transcript directly to the Texas Secretary of State upon request with the following information provided by the student:
- Form 2101 and Form 2102: Both forms must be completed by the student. Form 2101 is a payment form if paying with a credit card. If not paying by credit card, a check for the amount of the apostille fee must be provided by the student and made payable to: Texas Secretary of State (see Texas Secretary of State website for fee amount).
- A stamped envelope with the mailing address of the final recipient of the transcript. Once the apostille is complete, the Texas Secretary of State will send the documentation to the final recipient.
If the student wants to personally forward their transcript to the Texas Secretary of State, the Office of the Registrar will mail the notarized transcript to the student’s mailing address via USPS unless the student requests FedEx service. To inquire about sending documents via FedEx, please email email@example.com.
FAQs and Questions
For a list of frequently asked questions about transcripts and verifications, please click here.
Questions regarding transcripts should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.